Orly's Gluten Free County Fair Funnel Cake
I have memories of visiting Atlantic City, NJ with my family during the summers. I always looked forward to walks on the boardwalk and stopping at the boardwalk stands for freshly fried funnel cake treats! This is a gluten free version of the boardwalk and county fair type funnel cakes. Light and fluffy, this gets dusted with powdered sugar and served hot for a fun and tasty treat. A breakfast alternative to waffles and a fun dessert for the kids (and adults!)
2/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Funnel Cake Directions:
1. In a deep skillet, heat about two cups of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Test the temperature by dropping a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away without smoking, it's perfect.
2. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
3. Using a funnel, drop into hot oil working from center outwards in a web pattern. (You can use a gallon sized freezer bag instead of a funnel by pouring the batter into the bag, snipping off a small corner of it, and squeezing the batter into the oil.)
4. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.