My friend Mary has recently turned her entire kitchen gluten free. After her two kids became diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, she and her husband decided to make a gluten free household. Since she discovered Blends by Orly, she has made some of the most wonderful treats for her kids including "Ritz" style cheese crackers, healthy zucchini chocolate chip bread, assorted muffins and these gingersnap cookies. The warming spices of ginger and cinnamon and the deep flavor of dark molasses make these a delicious winter holiday cookie for the whole family to enjoy at your table!
Mary's Holiday Gingersnap Cookies
Recipe yields three dozen cookies
2 cups London blend
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar for coating cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare three baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Sift the London Blend, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and stir together to combine.
- Place shortening into a mixer and beat until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in egg and dark molasses. Stir in 1/3 of the flour mix and stir to thoroughly blended. Stir the remaining flour mix until fully blended.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or use your hands to pinch of small amount of dough and roll into a ball. Roll dough ball into the cinnamon sugar. Leave enough room to allow the cookies to spread when they bake.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.