What are the benefits of a gluten free diet?
Gluten is a general term used to describe the proteins found in wheat, rye, barley and spelt.
Benefits of a Gluten Free Diet
Cutting gluten from your diet may eliminate the symptoms of celiac disease including
- Abdominal Pain
- Iron Deficiency
- Joint and Muscle Pain
- Mood Disorders
- Reproductive Health Issues
- Weight Gain or Weight Loss
A Gluten Free diet may also have health and therapeutic benefits for those with
- Gluten Sensitivity
- Wheat Alergies
- Thyroid Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
Other Benefits Include
- Elimination of unhealthy oils from your diet
- Elimination of unhealthy carbohydrates found in bread products
- Less overly processed foods in your diet
- Reduced risk of heart disease, certain cancers and diabetes
- Improved immune system defense
Gluten and Celiac Disease
A gluten free diet is necessary for people with celiac disease, an autoimmune disease that leads the body's immune system to attack the small intestine when gluten is digested.
Only 1% of the population is estimated to have celiac disease. Celiac is 4x more common today than it was 60 years ago.
Grains that do not contain gluten
- Brown Rice
- Long Grain Rice
Many healthy foods are naturally gluten free including
- Fruits and Vegetables